[Dailydrool] coyotes & bassets

Jan Chamberlain jacypenny at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 08:24:13 PDT 2009

This might be a little long...sorry.
We live in the deep woods of northern Wisconsin & we have a ton of coyotes around here.
Several years ago our houndie named Freckles ( A.T.B. )..was sitting in the yard barking her head off, this dog was so lazy, she NEVER barked. We went out there to see what made her actually bark so much, & there she was just sitting almost nose to nose with a coyote who was just looking at her. He left when he saw us.  Years later, another houndie of ours..Higgins (A.T.B. ).....was just laying in the yard with 3 of his friends. Yes, 3. He hung around with them in our yard & never got hurt. We couldn't think of any other way to keep them out other than the fence. The vet, ( along with everything we could find to read up on this),  concluded that the reason why they didn't kill him is because they didn't think he posed a threat to them because of the way he looked. He said it was rare to see a pet actually hanging around with them. Compare bassets to coyotes...short stubby legs, long body close to the ground & funny looking long ears that don't stand
 up. The vet said his looks saved him. He was put on meds because of his association with them. I don't remember what it was. The only time they didn't come around was after the pups were born. After the pups got big enough to roam with the pack, they came back to visit.
On the other hand.....about 2 weeks before our Miss Penny went to the bridge this past Feb. 2009....A coyote was cutting through the yard quite a bit. He wasn't to close to the house but we watched him closely. One day he got in the yard and was coming very close to the house. I noticed him by accident one day just as Don was going to take her out & I yelled to him to not open the door because it was now about 5 feet from the porch. He apparently smelled her illness & was coming in for the kill. This is what the vet thought too. So, if you are in the area where there are coyotes, & have a sick houndie...be aware. I'm sure some people might think this is a bunch of hooey,  but believe it or not it all happened.
Jan ........Miss Penny  A.T.B.