[Dailydrool] Murphy Byers to the Bridge (long)

Tammara Byers gcbassets at homenetnw.net
Mon May 11 12:12:04 PDT 2009

On Friday, our beloved Murphy went to heaven,  where I am sure he is
sitting on my Mom's lap enjoying the ear rubs she is giving out.
I am not really sure where to begin. The pain is so deep and our home so
quiet.
We adopted Murphy 15 years ago in April from the Spokane Humane
Society,  he was an adorable 10 mo old basset lab cross,  sitting
patiently in his run, and he caught our eye.
We spent some time with him and that was all it took,  brought him home,
renamed him Murphy from the totally unacceptable name of muffy and he
became all ours.
He and our son grew up together, he welcomed and accepted the other
houndies adopted since, loved his truck rides with his ears flapping in
the wind, was a total love hound and ,except for the UPS truck, loved
everyone.
I really didn't expect the day to come where I would have to make a
decision about him,  I had noticed him panting a little more,  but a pup
going on 16 years old in June and with his heart having to work harder,
I didn't give it much thought.
About 2 weeks ago we noticed a mass next to his ribcage,  and we had
surgery scheduled for this coming Tuesday to remove it,  it burst on
Friday morning, off we went to the vet.
The vet told us he felt the mass was far bigger than we anticipated, and
with Murphy being almost 16, his recovery would be difficult,  not to
mention he wasn't sure how well he could close the wound.
I took Murphy home with me and spent the rest of the afternoon with him,
looked in his eyes and realized that he was hanging on for us,  I
couldn't do it, couldn't be selfish with the most wonderful dog I have
ever known.
We took him back to the vet at 4:30 on Friday and he made his way to the
Bridge.
Our hearts are broken, and the house is way too quiet, even with 3
houndies here.
He never failed to greet us at the door, loved his toys and his treats.
If a dog could smile,  Murphy did.
He was a hit every where we went,  we took him to the Basset Blast for
the last 6 years, and if we didn't have a leash on him,  he would have
been Murphy napped, everyone thought he was adorable and so sweet, and
he was always will be so. He acted like a puppy until 2 days before he
left us.
His picture was taken with his siblings in last years Daily Drool
Calender,  Sept 9th,  the cute white pup sitting in front.
There will never be another Murphy dog, fluffer nutter butter hound, our
fluffy butt,  and he will always have a huge piece of my heart.
Run free baby, until we meet again and I can once again look into those
warm brown eyes and take back that part of my heart you have forever taken.
In sorrow,
Tammara,
forever Momma to Murphy 6/93 - 5/09