[Dailydrool] No longer stoned

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun May 17 12:28:46 PDT 2009

Our Elsinore appreciates all the good wishes that have come her way
and seems to be no longer under the influence of kidney stones. Last
Thursday I took her to our late, great Jane Basset's vet for a second
opinion, and he said that, based on the history I was giving him, he
wasn't sure whether Elsinore had had a kidney stone or was simply
unable to resist adding to an exceptionally alluring scent on Kelly
Jane's carpet.

It could be Elsinore really did have a stone and passed it at some
point during the day she broke her five-year record for perfect house
manners (she broke her record, by the way, only a few minutes after
I'd finished telling Kelly Jane how trustworthy our Elsinore is), but
we'll never know. He said he saw no blood or crystals in her urine,
so he suggested Elsinore finish up the Cipro and we not worry about
it anymore. Kelly Jane has said Elsinore is still welcome to play on
her carpet any time, which I think shows admirable forgiveness and
even courage.

We'll be transferring our Elsinore and young Charlie's care back to
Jane's vet now. The only reason we left him was because we moved away
from that part of the city and wanted a vet closer to our new home.
But these two dogs need vet care so infrequently that the half-hour
drive to Jane's vet won't be as bad as it would be with a dog in poor
health. For several years now I haven't been happy with the vet we've
been seeing, and his suspected inept reading of Elsinore's abdomen
sonogram and x-ray, in addition to his propensity to see tumors that
turn out to not be there after all but still give him the excuse he
needs to charge us for another x-ray, have been the last straws.

As I write this, Elsinore is sunbathing outside with her basset
friend Owen, and young Charlie is stretched out beside my feet. He's
tired from all the magazine snatching and tearing up he did earlier
this morning. He wants everyone to know that it takes more energy to
completely destroy a magazine than one realizes. A true pro like
Charlie only makes it look easy; it's really quite difficult and
takes considerable skill, strength, and finesse. Or so young Charlie
claims.

Elizabeth