[Dailydrool] Rat-face Ruby bears a message--what does it mean?

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 11:27:51 PDT 2009

For the past four days, when Harley's vagrant chihuahua girlfriend, Ruby, has shown up at our house for her self-arranged playdates with Harley, Ruby has borne a message. I just can't figure out what it means.

Attached to Ruby's collar and floating out behind her like a kite-tail is a hot pink nylon leash. The leash bears the embroidered name of a local veterinary hospital and its telephone number. Ruby goes home at night, but the leash never seems to come off. I have never seen a human attached to the handle side of the leash. So far Ruby has not become snagged in any trees as she roams the neighborhood ( a new worry of mine) trailing her hot pink train. Sometimes someone in the neighborhood will try to tie up the leash to her collar like a big bow, but it unravels fairly quickly. We have been trying to guess the purpose of Ruby's new accoutrement.

Is it there in case she gets hit by a car roaming the streets, so the driver will know where to take her in an emergency?

Is it there to suggest that Ruby has simply slipped away from a walker and is not really roaming loose, in case the dog-catcher drives by?

Is it a lame attempt at an "identification" tag--one step removed?

Is it a long handle to grab Ruby if she goes after someone to bite them (like my husband!)?

Or is it a present from Ruby's guardian angel, so that when I walk my own two hounds and Ruby tags along, she is no longer free to zigzag in and out of traffic? I have been using it this way. Previusly when Ruby tagged along, I have always had to stick to back streets with little traffic, and even then she scared me to death a couple of times with bad judgment (hers). Now I have her on a leash along with my two and I, at any rate, feel safer.

The saga continues.