[Dailydrool] Miss Angela's Diet

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Sun May 24 16:17:49 PDT 2009

Bill, my 88 year old mother recently became a foster basset mom. Molly also is a bit, well, say we
say rotund. Molly has been quite devious about her attempts to obtain food, the most recent a midnight
raid on the garbage that had my mother a bit annoyed. Having been on a life long diet herself, my mother
suggests the following:
Beef or chicken broth on Miss Angela's dry kibble ( low sodium is suggested)
French cut green beans mixed into the kibble and broth
A small amount of appetizer (i.e. small cans of Mighty Dog or finely chopped chicken or some similar morsel) . Just a spoonful or two mixed very thoroughly with the offending kibble (and broth and green beans) seems to do wonders.
It is truly a battle of wills to keep the dieter on track. My mother informed me the other day that she
and Molly had a ten minute argument over whether or not it was dinner time. (Molly has an interesting
growl talk that can be extremely persusive to the faint of heart.) My mother informed me Molly won
that round.
My mother's dachsund passed away and I talked her into fostering a basset for Utah Friends of Basset Hounds. . She is having quite a wonderful time and has exclaimed on more than one occasion how INTELLIGENT Molly is. She always thought bassets were DUMB. This does not say much for the many bassets that have passed through my doors that she has been acquainted with.
I have to say, Bill, I always enjoy your posts and feel that I know Miss Angela as well as any of the
stars that are her cohorts. I found the part about Miss Angela being offended about your posting about
her diet especially funny as just yesterday my mother and I were discussing Molly's diet and she looked
extremely annoyed and turned her back on us. We looked at each other and said (at the same time)
" She does NOT want to talk about her weight".  (What woman does? )
Marilyn Briggs