[Dailydrool] "Express" Yourself - or others

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 12:22:33 PDT 2009

Okay the way that I express anal glands is as follows:
1. Put on latex or other exam type glove
2. Apply lube (Vaseline or KY is fine) to index finger and anus
3. Wrap paper towel over finger so that the two ends are in your hand to catch nastiness.
4. Insert finger and feel for small grape like structures under the rectal tissue.  The anal gland sacs are generally located at 4 and 8pm if you observe the anus as a clock (or ticking bomb ;) ) - To palpate for the sacs best use your thumb on the outside as if you were trying to grab it with your thumb and fore finger.
5. When (and if) the sac is located gentle milk out the contents.  Be aware that the opening to the sac can sometimes be blocked by your finger so sometimes you have to use your thumb to roll the sac so that the hole is unobstructed and possibly pointing to opening of the anus.

- You will generally need someone to have good restraint of the dog
- Make sure you don't shoot yourself or others with the material; even in extremely small amounts it can be horrifically smelly.  I suggest doing this in the bathtub or outside and washing the rear very well afterwards.
-  This is a skill that takes time to master.  Do not be discouraged if you can't get it right away or can't get all of the material out.
- Also many times once scooting has occurred, one or both sacs have already been somewhat or significantly expressed by the dog.
-  If you really can't get it then ask the vet or vet tech to show you how to do it.

I hope this helps.  It's hard enough trying to teach someone standing in front of you with a live dog let alone trying to explain it over the internet :)

Laura