[Dailydrool] The Basset next door

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 4 08:17:27 PST 2009

There is a young couple who live basically next door though that is about 10 acres away.   They have a young male basset, Charlie, who is always slipping his collar and will cruise the various yards and  we have already taken Charlie back home a couple of times in the past.  .  Normally this is not a big deal since my dogs are fenced and it is a rather rural area with few cars.   However, this morning, around 8:30 I had two of the Dachshunds on flexis out front and I could see Charlie off in the distance, in the yard across the road and up a ways.

My girls did their thing with out catching sight or smell of Charlie and I was trying to get them in when a car came down the road.  Charlie took off towards the road going full speed,  the car slowed down but Charlie was hit (or hit the car depending on your side of the story) with a thud and thrown back into the lawn.   The car kept on going and Charlie with a yelp took off for his house.

After taking care of the morning ritual with my own 4 Bassets,  I gathered up my choke collars and my homeopathic kit and drove over to see how Charlie was.
I knew the older girl had already left for school before the accident and mom has a 2 year old and a 3 month old baby.   When she answered the door and asked how Charlie was, mom was confused thinking Charlie was still on his chain ( trolley system across the back yard).  Afraid Charlie was more seriously hurt than first thought we were getting ready to go look for him when he came home.

I found a choke chain that fit him, though Mom says he actually can get the trolley clip off his collar and indeed he still had his collar on when he came home.

Charlie seemed fine but I gave him a dose of Arnica for pain and left my small vial with mom.   We talked about Bassets for a good while, how active puppies are rather than the sedate couch hounds one thinks of.  I warned her against some genetic health problems, left my number if she had any questions.

Charlie is a house pet, he is house broken and sleeps and eats in the house,  he is good pals with the kids.  He isn't on the trolley all the time and doesn't live outdoors.   He gets vet care and Mom is a nurse.   He isn't neutered yet but will be.  He will be a year in February.  I told mom it was good that she is waiting a bit for the neutering since he has a leg that really turns and he needs those hormones.  I also suggested some Vit C to help strengthen the joints.   Charlie has a rounded head and his ears are a little short,   he cost a whooping $100.00 from an ad in the paper.  One of a litter of 10.    He is very sweet and friendly.  He is clean and well fed,  on heartworm and flea prevention.

Such a morning and all before my 2nd cup of coffee.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/