[Dailydrool] Strained ACL?

Sarah Manuel gardenia99 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 19:18:44 PST 2009

My husband and I have a 14-month-old basset baby named Major. He loves to run and play hard like most puppies do. The other night after his walk we noticed that Major was limping and he was whining a lot. By the next morning he was hopping on his other foot to avoid using his back right paw. We took him to the vet and they took several x-rays, but saw nothing. The vet thought that it might be a strained ACL and sent us home with an anti-inflammatory. Major has been out of it ever since ... sleeping a lot and not eating much. Is a strained ACL a common injury for basset hounds? Should we be worried?