[Dailydrool] Dry skin...

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 20:32:50 PST 2009

You can get "fish oil" pills at Sam's or Costco fairly inexpensively.  My "monsters" are all pill-phobic, so short of opening each capsule and squeezing it over their food, that was a no-go in our house.  I currently use a liquid called Lipiderm that I have liked very much, and it seems to work quite well for my "kids". The dogs like it over their kibble, and it has a carob flavoring to it so that is attractive to them.  It runs about $25 for a great biiiiig bottle, and for me with four houndies, it lasts at least 6 weeks.  I get it at my local feed store, but I believe PetsMart and PetCo will also carry it.   I have also used Linatone, but it is even more expensive, and I don't think it goes as far.  Your vet may also recommend Eicosaderm, which is available through vets and vet supply stores.  I don't know that you can purchase it any other way, but someone else on the list may know about that.

All of these will have dosing instructions for the size/weight of your dog.  I have a pump on my bottle, and know that a full squirt of the pump is equivalent to a particular measurement, so just give everybody the appropriate amount of squirts over their food.  I do stir it into the kibble pretty well, but nobody turns up their noses at it, so it must taste good.  My gang is kind of picky about what goes in their bowls, so if it doesn't smell good, they walk away.  (I tried giving them some leftover water chesnuts from some Chinese food, and they wouldn't have anything to do with them even though they were in a really good gravy...but they managed to glue water chestnuts to the floor!)

Good luck!

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly-Belly, and Addie-Lou Roo (who is STILL a baby Kangaroo!)--"We like that doggy oil Mama gives us.  It tastes good!  We don't even notice the good-for-us stuff in it."

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX   toppogigio at yahoo.com     "A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum     "If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney