[Dailydrool] The Mop and the Ring

EssieSchwartz at aol.com EssieSchwartz at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 09:17:53 PST 2009

Someone mentioned two different incidents of Homer's appetite...

In the first one, when he was still quite young...He ate my wedding and
engagement rings.  I was a bit hysterical because Homer was running around
with about $2000 worth of jewelry in his belly (This was a lonnnnnnnng time
ago,  before gold went to today's prices).  The vet said not to worry because
I'd  get everything back in the end... well, it took two days of sifting
what comes  out of the end...The wedding ring came first and it was flat....I
rushed it up  to the jeweler's and they cleaned it and rounded it again for
me....to this day,  it isn't completely round.  Later that night, the
engagement ring  came...but that was at night...and it was dark...so I got up at
the first light  of dawn... here I am, right before going to work...sifting
through the remains  of Homer's appetite....  That, too, went to the jeweler
to make sure the  stone was secured.

    Several years later, when Homer was about 9 or 10, my  cleaning lady
asked me to find her an O Cedar Mop...the kind with the strings  that look
like broad noodles...well, one by one, Homer ate each string... some  of them
actually came out clean, and a few we had to help him by pulling... When  I
realized what he had eaten, the mop was kept high up for his and the mop's
safety!
    Esther