[Dailydrool] AZBHR says goodbye to 2 of our foster dogs today.

Kim Bruck bassetsdrool at cox.net
Tue Nov 10 21:13:43 PST 2009

 From Robin our awesome VP of AZBHR: The first is Shadow - she was a
forever foster that was diagnosed with ...Pancreatic Cancer and was
bleeding into her stomach. She had stopped eating and the vets believe
that she was in considerable pain. The Straussers have been her foster
home for the last couple months, but Shadow originally started with the
Briggs. Shadow did get to make her foster walk at the HOWL this year and
will be missed by her foster family.

The second is Dustin - he was the lone foster basset in boarding. Dustin
died from bloat while being prepped for surgery. Bloat is a horrible
painful condition that causes the stomach to flip, many times it comes
on fast and nothing can be done. I have attached a link about the signs
of bloat and how to avoid it. Bassets rank 7th on the list of top breeds
to get bloat, so please take a couple moments to read the article.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=402 The worst part
of the Dustin's story is that he never got to spend any time in a loving
foster home. Dustin had spent the last 30 plus days in boarding. The
folks at the boarding facility took great care of him, but no matter how
wonderful they were he was still in a kennel situation. I can not
express how much we are in need of foster homes. If you have ever
thought about fostering, now is time - even if it is only once, it can
make a HUGE difference.

AZBHR as well as many rescues are beyond capacity and need foster
homes....contact your local rescue to help.

I had the opportunity to walk Dustin a couple weeks ago and he was a
handsome boy and very friendly....my heart goes out to Shadow's foster
family.  God Speed to Shadow and Dustin.  Fly free.
Thank you to all the rescues for what you do.

Kim Bruck,
President, AZBHR