[Dailydrool] Barking Help

Deborah Roberts D_Roberts at acs.org
Thu Nov 19 06:06:13 PST 2009

We have new neighbors who are apparently going to have problems with the
50 or so dogs that live and bark on our street.  We had a visit from
animal control last night stating that there was a complaint about our
dogs barking "all day long".    Clarabelle and Roscoe will bark when
they are playing or chasing a squirrel, but mostly they sleep and are
reasonably quiet.  Hubby and I both work all day; Clarabelle and Roscoe
have a doggie door so they can go in and out as they please.  We cannot
leave them cooped up in the house for 10-12 hours a day, so that is not
an option.  Roscoe tends to be more of a barker than Clarabelle and we
will definitely need to do some stop barking training.    We've already
changed their routine so that when we leave in the morning, they don't
go directly outside.  I don't know if these people may be intentionally
annoying them. We've lived in the neighborhood since 1996, have always
had dogs and jobs, and have never had any problems.  We get along with
all of our neighbors, at least until these folks moved in next door.
They are literally surrounded by people with multiple dogs, so this
should get very interesting pretty quickly.

I know lots of people on the drool have had to deal with neighbors that
don't especially like dogs.  What's the best approach to dealing with
these people?  Also, any good training tips would be greatly
appreciated.  If anyone has tricks for when their dogs are left alone
for long periods I would love to hear them.  We leave toys, food and
water available to them. They are not kept outside and can go inside
whenever they want to.  If they go out at night and start to bark, we've
started shining a light in their face.  That quiets them down and they
come right back inside.  We've managed to socialize them, train them not
to dig, housebreak them, sit for treats, shake, etc., so I'm confident
we can master this.  I just don't want to end up in court and
desperately need advice.

As usual, Clarabelle and Roscoe send copious drool to all in need.

Debbie

Owned by Clarabelle and Roscoe

Being Watched Over by Penelope, Stanley and Casey ATB