[Dailydrool] raw diet question?

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Fri Nov 20 06:08:03 PST 2009

How much are you feeding Crackers?  A good rule of thumb is 2.5 to 3 % of body weight to maintain your dogs weight.  More if they are thin, less if they are fat.
A nice website to calculate your dog's weight and how much to feed is http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

Healthy raw feeding is dependant on balance over time.    Feeding your dog the same food every day isn't the best.  Last night mine all had chicken legs and thighs (bones and all).  Ground turkey or ground chicken is easy to get, too.    When I use to grind my own I threw everything into the mix including spinach , carrots, apples, yams along with the meat and bones.

Don't forget meaty bones.   Chicken backs, wings, legs are good ways to start.   Slicing down large beef ribs (I take the thick layer of fat off the back),   The dogs love to rip the meat off and gnaw on the bones.   I do take away the ribs once the dogs start to splinter them.    I also remove most of the chicken skin,  too much gives the dogs the runs.     My dogs, including baby puppies love to chew on turkey necks.  Keeps them busy for a long time and makes for healthy teeth and gums.  Turkey necks can be quite large and my husband will chop them down to 3 pieces or so.   The larger pieces on great for the Bassets and smaller ones, the Dachshunds.

Good luck and I'm glad Crackers is doing better.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com

http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/