[Dailydrool] vaccination reactions

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 22 20:50:29 PST 2009

My labrador granddoggy,Butters,had a similar reaction to his distemper vaccine this year a couple of hours after he got it. I work for his vet so I was there when he came in and it was very scary. His poor little head looked like a balloon from the Macy's parade! They had already given him some benedryl, but he received a shot and he was better by that night. The odd thing was he had received the same vaccine the year before with no problem. His file is now marked with an alert so he will receive a shot before the vaccine. One danger with the swelling is their airway can swell and then you're in deep trouble. It reinforced in my head that I need to always make sure and stay with them after they've received a vaccine just to make sure there's no trouble.
Janet, Yogi, Carlie Jane, and Bunny