[Dailydrool] Vaccination Reactions

Diane Surman diane512 at ptd.net
Mon Nov 23 03:49:13 PST 2009

Hi,
I have a Basset that will be 8 in Feb. that can not tolerate vaccinations,
especially the combo distemper and parvo.  She first had the problem as a
young puppy.  She became swollen every where after a few hours and had to be
taken back to the vet.  She was given a shot of dexamethasone at the vet and
sent home.  In her case, Benedryl wouldn't have helped her.  She no longer
receives distemper/parvo shots.  We did a titer test on her about 2 years
ago and she had full immunity to the diseases.  Here in PA she is required
to have a rabies vaccination every 3 years.  We looked into getting her an
exemption from the state but then that meant she had to be confined to our
home.  Since she likes to walk every day and go places we didn't feel this
was a good option.  Now before a rabies shot, my vet puts her on a low dose
of prednisone 3 days prior to the rabies shot, and before he gives her the
rabies vaccination, he gives her a shot of dexamethasone and allows it time
to kick in. He then vaccinates her for rabies.  So far, this protocol has
worked wonders and she has not had a problem.

Because she is allergic, I only allow the rabies every 3 years and don't
ever give any kind of other vaccinations such as Lyme. I just feel she
couldn't handle it.

Hope this is helpful.

Diane