[Dailydrool] Vaccination Reactions

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 07:03:48 PST 2009

I am so glad this link got started.  Tucker (ATB) and Abby both had/have
vaccine reactions.  Tucker's reaction to the Rabies was bad and he ended
up at the ER because the reg doc had closed.  He had dexamethasone
injection followed by 7 days of prednisone and Pepcid AC.
Abby (rashy reaction) is now pretreated with Benadryl and Pepcid which
continues for 3 days afterwards.

Titers are great and luckily my new vet will do them.  My gang is on a 3 yr
protocol after their initial puppy vaccines and my vet does not vaccinate
after
10 years old when a titer is drawn.

Things I learned from Tucker and Abby were:

1. Get the vaccine early in the day in case there is a reaction to
      save yourself an ER visit.

2. Plan to be at home after the vaccine.  Tucker's reaction occurred about
2 hours after the vaccine.  I ran to the store for less than
1/2 hour and came back to find one side of Tucker's face extremely swollen.
I thought he had been bit by a rattler.

3. If they do have a reaction get them to the doc.  Swelling can close off
the airway very quickly.

4. No more than one vax every 2 weeks and no combo's.  This helps
reduce a vax reaction and you can hopefully pin down the one responsible.

5. Always have the temperature taken before a vax.  Never vaccinate a
sick or injured dog.  Wait for their immune system to be healthy.

That is just my thoughts and opinions on the subject.
We send drool to all in need.  (Sadie Maye is now officially drooling
long strings so there is plenty)
Karen and The Dog House Gang