[Dailydrool] Vaccination Reactions

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Mon Nov 23 05:32:28 PST 2009

Candy,
I don't know of a state that mandates any vaccine other than rabies.

Just because your vet says you need Distemper or Parvo or Lepto or any other vaccine every two years doesn't mean that you do.   Think about it!!  Do you vaccinate your children every two years for the same disease?   Distemper is related to human measles.   We don't shoot our kids up every 2 years for life.  If your dog had his baby shots and his year booster he is done for at least 5 years, probably for life.

There are lots of vaccination protocols out there including NOT vaccinating.    My holistic vet would never vaccinate a dog who already had a reaction to a vaccine.  And NEVER give rabies at the same time as other vaccinations.   They should be given at least a month apart.

Get titers done if you are worried when the time comes.   But I would worry far more about the vaccine itself than about an adult already vaccinated dog coming down with either Distemper or Parvo.

One of the major problems with our dogs is that they are almost all horribly over vaccinated.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com