[Dailydrool] Basset weights

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 11:05:50 PST 2009

After reading several posts, I got curious and looked on the Web for breed standards regarding weights. Interestingly, I did not find weight listed on any of the breed standard entries that I read. A few other entries describing the breed in general said that bassets typically weighed either 40-65 lbs. or 50-65lbs. My two are not show dogs--they are rescues of unknown heritage--but neither is over or under weight. They are just on the small side--Bo is 42 lbs., Harley 38 lbs. Once when we were at a dog park, a beautiful large basset came in with her owner and little girl. The little girl pointed to Bo and Harley and exclaimed to her mother: "Look, mom, miniature basset hounds!"  Their hound, also gorgeous, was fully twice the size of mine.