[Dailydrool] Basset weights

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Wed Nov 25 12:35:47 PST 2009

I gave up on  the idea"average" Basset weights when I fostered for a while years ago.  We had one little female who was 35 pounds & not underweight.  A few weeks later, we got a male at 92 pounds. He was chubby but also just large boned, huge, & well bred.  Later,  I transported a female who was 93 pounds & took up the back seat in my car.  She needed to lose about 15, but she was still a big girl, with feet twice the size of my Henry's.

My Bentley was compact & 50 pounds.  Henry Wadsworth stayed around 50 also, but was a much longer, slimmer dog which is why he was my "Longfellow".  Maestro is a bit bigger boned but stays around 55.  What's funny is that despite similar weights, they're very different body types.  Henry would not fit in a 36" crate--at all; the rear end wouldn't fit.  He was like a little canine articulated bus.   Gosh, I miss that dog.

Kathleen Jones (who will be putting on a few pounds tomorrow herself)
& Maestro  (ME too!)
Fezziwig the Cavalier (who needs to lose a couple)
(w/Henry Wadsworth & Bentley Basset ATB)