[Dailydrool] Nail Tril

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 16:43:35 PST 2009

I am confused with this Beverly?  I think what you are meaning to say is not to bleed the dog's nails.  I believe that is the goal.  I have never been able to trim nails further up.  Now, I think what you are saying is that the doctor did this and bled him while under and stopped the bleeding. I am sure the rawness will soon recover.

I would recommend cutting back the nails as far as possible when the dog is under anesthesia if nail trimming is a problem, but yes, you may need to define how short you expect them to go. Many dogs with this issue have grossly overgrown nails that impeed their ability to move properly which can bring about long term joint problems.  The basset especially must have short nails so that they walk up on their toes, which is a normal walk.  If the nails are touching the ground first and you hear them click, they are too long.  I would rather that they are trimmed gradually around the edge to wear down the centers to get them to the right length, which I think is even with the ends of the pad, but most pet owners do not do this with bassets because the nail is so thick that many bassets have developed behaviorial issues around the nail trim.  In those cases, much better decision to have the vet trim them short as possible.

Best*

Sara