[Dailydrool] Out of Africa Bassets - Weird Friday

Karen bassett8 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:21:56 PST 2009

Dear Droolers

Although we do not celebrate Thanksgiving here in South Africa, I
think I might have to after the Friday I had with two of my three
Hounds.  It started on Friday morning with Piper, she was 100% when I
went off for my shower and less than half an hour later the whole
right side of her face was so swollen she could not even open her eye!
 Emergency call to the vet as Piper weighs 40 kg's or about 90 lbs and
I am in a wrist brace for a torn tendon and I can't lift her into the
car or the SUV, the upshot of all of this is that madam had managed to
catch a bee, which stung her in the mouth and 4 prednisilone tablets
and about 2 hours later her face was back to normal. Momslave was
seriously considering a double scotch at 9am!  Before anyone gives me
grief about Piper's weight, she is an extremely big-boned Basset and
the vet, who has 5 Bassets of his own, says she is within normal range
for her bone structure,  Anyway that was part one of Friday!

Part 2 started around 5:30pm when a very sorry looking Whisky limped
into the house on 3 legs and I promptly went into minor heart failure,
this was a vet visit, no two ways about it, I checked his leg and
could find no obvious breaks, so with great difficulty, I managed to
get him lifted into the car, which is lower than the SUV and
fortunately Whisky is only about 25 kg's or roughly 55 lbs and off we
went to the vet with one arooooooing basset making his dislike of the
trip in the car known to all in a ten block radius, thankfully the vet
is only about 10 blocks away.  The upshot on this one is that he has
sprained his shoulder trying to take over as Alpha dog from his big
sister Coco and she obviously rolled him on his back and hurt his
shoulder.  Then he tried to take a chunk out of the vet and ended up
getting 2 injections, an anti-inflamatory and a pain killer at which
point he proceeded to lick the vet and roll over for belly rubs,
fortunately my vet is a real hound lover and quick enough to avoid
Basset teeth and does'nt hold a grudge.  He put Whisky on 2 days of
Rimadyl and said to try and keep him quiet, then laughed and said if
at all possible.  The bill was around $65 which was not too awful and
included all the meds.  By Saturday morning, Pipers face was normal
and Whisky was bouncing around like his usual rubber ball self.

So a whole lot of thanksgiving was going on in the Out Of Africa
Hounds House on Saturday.  Momslave did however indulge in a large
Scotch and Water on Friday Night once the houndage had been fed and
settled on their cushions! Momslave is normally a teatotaller, so that
was our Friday!  Thankfully no permanent harm done except to this
momslaves nerves!

We send drool and arooo's to all in need
Snooter kisses and we hope all had a good thanksgiving weekend
Coco, Piper and Whisky with momslave Karen (another day like that and
I will take up drinking!)