[Dailydrool] Holes, Decorating and Presents

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:54:00 PST 2009

We are sending buckets of drool to all of the houndies who are hurting, sick or have cysts.  We have been there and know how nervewracking it is to have something go wrong that cannot be fixed simply.  Three of these girls drool.  Shelbs does not although her mouth is wet and she loves to share when she gets a chance to put her head on a lap.

Marley was the girl with the hole in her side and I thought someone had shot her because I had never seen a cyst open up like that.  She actually had four cysts that were removed and has been fine ever since on that score.  Our first two girls had many cysts removed until the vet figured out that they were prone to them and left them alone.  None of them ever burst so we were good.  Sherlock had  really large one on his belly for years but it stayed there and so we left it alone.  Never bothered him.

On decorating the bottom of a tree, we just cover the bottom tree branches with bells.  Really big ones that make noise as soon as they are touched by a tail or snooter.  It usually startles the houndage and warns us that there is danger ahead.  Even still Ninja will slink under the tree and sleep curled up around the back of the base for some reason.  It sits in a corner so maybe she feels protected.  We don't have a hound that steals things off of the tree so we put the bells there.  They don't break either so they are hard to damage.  We put them on with ribbon too so there is no wire to hurt little mouths.

We don't put presents under the tree and haven't for 26 years.  Bassets just see presents as mysteries they must solve.  It doesn't matter if it is edible or not.  Their mission is to destroy anything under a tree that looks like a present.  We put ours out Christmas morning and open them so they won't be mauled.  The first year we had bassets we were rather stupid and didn't know this.  i bought a box of candy in a hard plastic container that was sealed shut.  I wrapped it and put it under the tree.  I thought they couldn't possibly smell through a hard plastic container.  What a dope.  When I got home from work there were little balls of foil all over the floor.  No candy, just little balls of foil.  They had opened the box without damaging it, eaten the candy and left the foil because it didn't taste good.  They were fine and I have never put presents under the tree again.  I sure do miss those sweet girls.  They tore up so much stuff and ruined carpets and doors and plants and cabbages and wallpaper and shoes and peony plants and so on.  I miss them.  Sassy and Daisy were our first two bassets.  They've been gone about 14 years now but never forgotten.

Marley's hole in her snooter is healing nicely and there have been no more chomping sessions.  Thank goodness.  We even got the Christmas picture taken on Saturday.  They were their usual "cooperative" selves.  Ninja tried to hog the bench and the other three had to fit in the other half.  Even Marley the grumpus was half way civil.

Snooters and drool to those in need.

Mom with the snoring quartet and thinking of

Sassy, Daisy, Sherlock and Sunny ATB