[Dailydrool] Update for Angelo

Saralyn Stabile Seiler saralyn777 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 1 17:32:44 PDT 2009

Hi everyone...............mama, angie and louie..............say thanks so much for all the info that was sent to us and all the Drool and prayers.
When we went into to see the vet and explained how he was still acting nauseous and not wanting to eat.................she stopped for a minute and said, I think we are going to go another way.  Since Angelo has had digestive issues all his life(not continually but lots of flare-ups)she is thinking it is IBD and the reason his Pancreas was high was because the IBD was backing up into his Pancreas.  So, this is really strange, but she gave him a large oral syringe of Barium orally.  Kind of messy and he didn't like it but was a good boy.  Then she gave us Zantac(seems to work better for IBD than the others)he is to take 1/2 tab twice a day, also Gas X, his Metro etc.  That night we were amazed at how he seemed.  He actually ate 1/2 can of Royal Canin.  Today he seems more like his old self.  He has to take the Barium for 10 days and the Metro for 4 weeks.  I fed him in small increments today but all in all he had a can and a half of the Royal
 Canin.  Today the vet said she wanted him to be on a dose of cortisone 10 MG for 10 days and see how it goes.  It should help the inflamation.  I don't think he will have to stay on it but we will see.  I was so happy to see my boy wanting to go for a walk and he is sitting right here with me now.
 I am very grateful to Susan Nickle who told me about the IBD.  Georgie, you were really so helpful sending me all the links so that I could be informed.  And Beverly, thanks for everything.  I got some notes from so many of you that I will answer but it has been crazy around here with Angie being sick and my mom in grave condition(Alzheimer's and now Pneumonia)
We are sending out drool and prayers for Quincey and Sue Foster's senior hounds and all the other ailing Bassets.
 One thing that really gave me hope is when Louie put his head up to howl and Angelo chimed in........................nothin' like that beautiful bay!
 We will let you know how things go.

Thanks again to all,
Saralyn, Jeff(the dad)and "the boys" Angelo and Luigi