[Dailydrool] Pet Insurance

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:02:54 PDT 2009

I have insurance for both my boys. I decided to get it after Rupert
swallowed a plug that needed to be surgically removed from his intestines,
in turn costing me close to $2,000. Grrr - feel like I'm still paying that
off!

Researching different companies was difficult because most of the companies
do not give you the nitty gritty details until you sign up and pay. Then
they give you in-depth policy details that say things like, "oh he swallowed
something in the past so thats a pre-existing condition that won't be
covered in the future". To that I said, WTH?! Thats been removed, he's
healed and there are currently no foreign objects in his system. How can it
be a pre-existing condition?!

I initially signed both boys up thru VPI because it can be deducted directly
from my paycheck and my work recieved a small discount (like 5-10%) thru the
company. Once they told me that Rupert wouldnt be covered on future foreign
object removal surgeries, I cancelled it for him only. Cow still has the
policy though I've never used it so have limited info on how easy it would
be to seek reimbursment. I know the policy costs me about $20/month ($10
each paycheck) and covers like 80% of certain services. I also seem to
recall that it doesnt cover any routine vet care like dentals, vaccines,
etc.

After consulting w/fellow droolers I was informed that PetCare Insurance
covers foreign object surgeries over and over again, not considering them
pre-existing conditions. (thank doG someone else thinks rationally in the
pet insurance industry!) Rupert has the accident-only coverage which runs
about $10/month although I just paid a year in advance for convenience. It
covers up to $2,000 reimbursement for any acciden- related issues. This
includes if he's hit by a car, injured while riding in a car, ingests
poison, swallows a foregin object, gets attacked by an animal, etc.
Basically anything that isnt health related, like cancer, etc.

What I liked about this policy was the price, and the fact that its a flat
out reimbursment up to $2k. So many of the plans have deductibles and only
cover certain percentages where this one just pays you back up to a certain
amount. Luckily I havent had to use it yet, but I do have some peace of mind
knowing that when Rupert does something stupid, we will likely be covered.
:-)

Hope this helps, Rose. Let me know if you have any other questions. BTW,
both my boys are around 3 years old so I havent given much thought to the
potential health issues they might have.

Drool to all,
Kacy w/Cowboy and Rupert
--
Cowboy: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/531112