[Dailydrool] flea help

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Oct 6 13:19:01 PDT 2009

Absolutely do not waste your time with flea bombs!  I was raised in the family pest control business, and did it myself as a profession for years.  There are a few things to think about when treating fleas.  1. Are the fleas on your counters, tables, lampshades, and tv screen?  NO! They are hidden in your carpet and upholstery.  Spraying pesticides in the air will accomplish nothing.  2. Are you actually qualified to handle pesticides?  NO! You and your pets are much safer letting someone who knows what they are doing, who has the training, the insurance, and the proper materials, do the job!  A professional will have access to IGRs, which is the standard treatment for fleas.  These are "insect growth inhibitors" which prevent fleas from maturing past the pupae stage.  They kill the adult and larval fleas, and prevent the eggs from ever maturing.  Look for someone who offers you a guarantee.  We used to do 3 treatments at one month intervals for bad infestations, but usually one service should do the job.  Call around and deal with someone who doesn't want to tie you into a yearlong contract.  In most areas of the world this is not necessary.
What can you do for little or no cost, that will not make your dogs and cats and kids sick?  Simple, VACUUM, VACUUM, VACUUM!  Your floors, your furniture, especially in the cracks and between cushions, and then THROW AWAY your vacuum bag.  Not in the house either, Tape it shut and get rid of it!  Wash all your throw rugs and pet bedding in hot water, launder your sheets and drapes.  Larva love carpet, and they eat the feces of the adult fleas. While you may not be able to vacuum up the larva because they wrap tightly around carpet fibers when they feel vibrations, you can certainly limit their food source.  Hiring a professional will guarantee that they don't make it to the adult stage.
The biggest concern, besides poisoning your child, is poisoning your pets, and this is usually done by the owner themselves.  First they powder the pet, then they spray the pet, then they put a flea collar on the pet, then they take the pet to the vet for a flea dip, or bathe in flea shampoo themselves.  THEN they call the pest control professional.  Now the pet is so overwhelmed with pesticides in their system that they die.  Just call someone and save yourself a bunch of grief.   Oh, and put a blanket on the floor before you let the baby on the carpet.
Good luck!
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!