[Dailydrool] Secondary rat poisoning

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:45:23 PDT 2009

I have to add my contradicting 2 cents here. (I apologize, but I think I
missed the first post in this thread, so I'm just going to talk about what
happened to us.) Several years ago, Jake (now ATB) did have problems related
to "secondary" rat poisoning. We were incredibly fortunate that she got a
nosebleed before she had serious internal bleeding. Thankfully, we got her
to the vet quickly, and she was fine with a course of vitamin K.
We know that she had not had access to straight rat poison. Our other dogs
were also fine, and they were much more likely to eat something sitting on
the ground. Jake was our carrion eater, though, and we had had issues with
rats in the yard. We did some reading, and one possible issue is that rats
in particular are greedy; it's very possible for a dead rat to still have
uneaten poison in its cheeks. So it wouldn't really be secondary poisoning
at that point. Jake was also older (12, I think) but generally in good
health.

I'm not an expert, but I know I nearly lost my girl a couple of years before
her time.

Jaclyn