[Dailydrool] Update on UFBH Abby-Back Surgery

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Fri Oct 9 13:28:13 PDT 2009

While the vet is "cautiously optimistic" and we are too, Abby is not using her back legs. She is the 2 1/2 year old girl who had 2 discs repaired not long ago. She has movement in one of the legs, but won't stand. She does have bladder and bowel control, and is currently resting in a crate at our foster coordinator's house. Carol went to Idaho Falls to pick up two more girls from the shelter (one who is unbelievably thin) and Sheri and I went to take Abby out to potty yesterday. She loved being in the yard on the grass, and we just sat on the ground with her for awhile. It is so good she made it through surgery--and it is so wonderful that horrible look of pain is gone from her eyes. But we still have a long way to go. We are trying to find a quieter foster home for her to recuperate (we had to lure all the other hounds into the back of house to get Abbs out the door). We are getting physical therapy for her. We are thinking of getting her a cart. I know the cart thing has come up before, and I could check the archives (now they are back up), but if anyone has any sage cart advice, please email me off list. We are still trying to pay for her surgery--she was at the vet about 4 days longer than we anticipated-- and you can donate by going to our webpage- www.ufbh.org.  I know lots of rescues need money right now, so if you can, great--if not, just send  Abby some drool. She really is one of the sweetest little bassets ever.
--
Marilyn Briggs