[Dailydrool] FW: Pills

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:55:29 PDT 2009

From: jules56pt at hotmail.com
To: dailydrool-request at dailydrool.org
Subject: Pills
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:54:38 -0500

I HATE giving dogs pills.  Sunny, the ultimate pill, was almost impossible to fool.  She liked braunschwieger the best but that got old too.  I wouldn't go near that girl's mouth with an 80 foot pole unless I had to.  She was a little demon.  Our first two bassets were a different story.  We were told to give pills by putting them on the back of the tongue, closing the mouth and gently pulling the head up, snooter pointing up, and then stroke the throat.  The stroking would trigger the swallow reflex and down the pills would go.  These were also dogs who got their first teeth cleanings without anesthesia because they didn't mind things in their mouths.

I usually give pills in cream cheese to the ones I have now.  Shelby always tries to get a little finger with hers, not to be mean, but to make sure she doesn't miss any of the cheese.  That girl never misses a morsel, but then at her age, she shouldn't have to.

We just finished furminating and clipping three of the four.  I am now covered in more hair than any of the bassets.  Marley is asleep with the dadperson so she missed out.  Maybe she planned it.  Shelby loves to be brushed and despises getting the nails trimmed.  It took three adults holding and clipping to get it done and she was screaming bloody murder.  I hate to stress her out too much but the nails were looking a be like daggers so we got them cut.  She bit at us but did not actually bite. She is such  sweetie.  She has so many bumps and lumps and is so slow moving that I just want her to enjoy every minute of the day.  She is 14ish so she has earned her treats and her snoozes.  She has been here for nine months and it is like she has always been here.  Sunny was the poster child for the maladjusted basset.  In 12 years she never forgot those beginning trials.  Shelby acts like this is home and has had no trouble adjusting to us.  She is a wonderful old thing.  And she doesn't even have gas.  That is hard to believe.

We are sending loads of drool to all who need some.  There were lots of treats after the nail torture.
Ninja, Marley, Maggie, Shelby and the wild kitty boys with the mom