[Dailydrool] Pilling dogs

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Sun Oct 11 15:59:27 PDT 2009

Annie is pretty good about taking medicine.? She takes a glucosamine pill every morning, and I mix it in her food.? She usually eats it, but occasionally I find a sticky pill next to her food bowl.? I then just open her mouth, put it on the back of her tongue, gently massage her throat, and she swallows it.? Even if I don't put it that far back, she usually cooperates.? Fred, on the other hand, is terrible about taking pills (thankfully, he doesn't have to take anything on a regular basis.)? If I cover the pill in peanut butter, he licks off the peanut butter and spits out the pill.? If I mix it into his food, I have to be very lucky for him not to find the pill and leave it.? If he happens to eat the pill and realize that he has, he looks at his food as if it's poisoned, and won't finish it.? If I put the pill in his mouth, I have to make sure that I get it VERY far back, or else he will get it to the front of his mouth and, as soon as I think he's swallowed, he'll spit it out.? Once he's on to me, I then have to try to catch him as he runs around the house!

Rose, Annie (I'm a good girl and take my medicine...usually) and Fred (I am VERY fresh when mommy tries to give me medicine...hahaha!!!)