[Dailydrool] infected dog bite

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Oct 12 09:09:25 PDT 2009

In light of Pam's sad experience with an infected bite wound, and remembering my Rocky's near tragic bite wound that I didn't see until it started to abscess, here is my advice.
I use two products with any animal inflicted wound, and have had very good luck, never having an infection on me or the dog.  I have, however, when I missed a wound on a hound or didn't do the following steps religiously, have some nasty repercussions.
Here goes:

1.       Wash crap (blood, drool, dirt, and yes, sometimes crap) off the surface of the wound with soapy water. Encourage bleeding by not applying pressure until wound seems well flushed. If not bleeding, or done bleeding, or if it has bled enough to satisfy me, I proceed to step two.

2.       Flush thoroughly with "Bactine" type wound cleanser.  I currently have "Band-aid" brand wound wash.  I keep this in my doggie first aid kit, and use it often for just about every scrape that comes up. It comes in a bottle that you up-end and squeeze, so the stream can come out with some pressure behind it. It also doesn't hurt like other cleansers do.  Doesn't stain, so should always be your on-site first aid, even when assessing a wound to take him to the vet.

3.       Pat wound dry with clean rag, then apply "Blue Kote", which is a livestock wound spray that contains Gentian Violet.  (from Tractor Supply Co.)  This stains!  Your hands, the wound, your clothes, your linoleum. NOTE: Do not apply anything that stains to a wound that you think the vet needs to see and maybe sew up!  NO Gentian violet to a deep puncture or a long or deep ragged wound.  If you discolor it, the vet can't see what he is doing to treat the dog.  Same goes for you!

4.       If still bleeding, apply pressure bandage if possible.  For ear wounds, especially at the tip, I sometimes use crazy glue because you can't get them to stop bleeding when the dog keeps shaking his head.  Only close wounds that are shallow, clean, and you are sure have no debris in them.

5.       If a puncture wound doesn't bleed, ALWAYS do steps 1 and 2 then proceed to the vet or doctor for further treatment.  Blood poisoning is a serious problem and can kill you or cause the loss of a limb.  Don't mess around with bite wounds!
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!