[Dailydrool] Separation anxiety

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Oct 17 08:45:20 PDT 2009

I have an otherwise unsubstantiated theory about dogs with separation
anxiety: They do not get it until they have someone they really love. One of
our fosters, Oliver, showed no signs of separation anxiety until he went
with the people who adopted him. I never had warning that our Belvedere
suffered from it, and I wonder if that is because he was not seriously
attached to anyone before I picked him up from Tri-State. He took one look
at me and said, "Mine, mine, mine!" I think when they have something they
really do not want to lose, they get nervous about losing it, especially
when they've been moved from place to place. We figure we were at least the
fifth home that Bel was in. Oliver had been in five places in four months
(his original home, a shelter, another foster home, then ours, finally in
his forever home).

Some separation anxiety dogs seem to deal better with being enclosed than
others. Oliver gets left gated in one room and over time has done well with
it. I crated our Belvedere once and ended up with a wet crate and dog--it
was the last time we enclosed him anywhere. He actually does better allowed
to roam free--but that depends on the dog, too, I think.

Security helps a lot with these dogs. Belvedere has gotten much better over
the years, because he knows what to expect. Now he only seems to piddle in
the house when I get home--the solution is to take him out as soon as I get
home. Having a regular daily schedule will help a lo, because these dogs
need a regular pattern to follow--it gives them security

There are various things you can do for your dog. Look up Canine Separation
Anxiety on the Web, and you will find various sites that have information on
the desensitizing regimen in which you go out for increasingly longer
periods. It is time consuming and a pain, but it can work. The only problem
is that if you go away for a while or break the usual schedule, you may have
to start over again with the program to help the dog regain that security.

The one thing that did not help Belvedere was having other dogs in the
house. He and Jane adore each other, but it did not help when I was
gone--separation anxiety dogs usually adore one person in the household.. My
husband has told me that, when I leave, Bel will lie in the front hall,
waiting for me to come home. It makes no difference who else is home or how
many animals are with him.

If all this fails, you can put the dog on antianxiety medications. Your vet
or a behaviorist can give you the prescription.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets