[Dailydrool] what your dog smells

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 23 16:09:34 PDT 2009

I'm reading an interesting book called Inside of a Dog by Alexandra
Horowitz, who is a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science and has been studying
dogs. Following up on the thread earlier this year about what a dog
smells, here are some interesting facts from the book (not exact
quotes): Bloodhounds and Basset Hounds are the superstars of smelling
because in addition to their large nose area, their ears circulate
air to expose more scent, drool gathers more liquid to smell; and
Bassets are naturally close to the ground. Dogs see in scent; they
have more scent smells (300 million vs. our 6 million) and they smell
millions of times better than we do. They can smell a teaspoon of
sugar in 1 million gallons of water (the amount in 2 olympic sized
pools). We shed molecules that give off scent. When we step, we leave
scent behind; the scent in a foot impression changes over time. A
runner may leave 5 footprint impressions in 2 seconds; during those
two seconds the impressions fades, and with that change the dog can
tell the difference between earlier and later impressions and
therefore the direction the person is moving. On a rose bush, every
petal has a different scent depending on what bugs landed on it,
whether it is torn or folded, whether it's fresh or old (decay has a
scent). Scientists put fingerprints on slides and stored them indoors
for three weeks; the top dog smeller was able to select the slide
with the fingerprint 294 times out of 300. When the slides were left
outside in sun and rain for a week, the dog was correct more than
half the time. In a scientific test, trained dogs detected melanoma,
missing only 14 out of 1,272. They're being trained to detect other
diseases (diabetes, other cancers); they've been used to predict
seizures. When your dog nuzzles you, he (she) is collecting your
odor. Your dog knows when you have just eaten, when you have
exercised, when you're emotional by your scent. When your dog appears
to be staring, watch his nose closely; he's more likely smelling.
Those flaps on the side of a dog's nose are to expel air so that he
can push out old air that's already in his nose and efficiently
exchange it for the fresh scent.

The book is sometimes less interesting, but I thought most of you
would be fascinated by the info about dogs' noses.

Sabrina, Ellie, Buddy, Hailey; Calhoune and Brendan atb