[Dailydrool] Vestibular Disease - vertigo

Patti Merlo belleheidi at msn.com
Tue Oct 27 19:01:23 PDT 2009

We had a very scary experience with Belle late last night and this morning, all of a sudden she was losing her balance and walking like she was drunk and did not want to eat - not heard of with a basset, especially with Belle.  We knew it was different that when her back went out years ago and were thinking possible stroke.  We took her to the vet first thing this morning and she was diagnosed with vestibular disease with nystagmus (involuntary eye movement).  We (including our vet) were relieved, when he saw the eye movement he said it was a good thing.   He ran blood work and checked swabs from her ears (a little yeast)   We started her meds and she seems to be doing a little better, although sleeping more right now.  Except for cookies, she still did not want to eat tonight until I treated her with boiled chicken, carrots and rice.

Has anyone had any experiences with this, if so how long did it take for it to get better.  I know there is a possibility of it happening again, is this something that will always be there.  I have a list of questions for tomorrow when he calls with the results of the blood work but thought I would throw this out to the basset experts.

 Sending drool to all the ailing.  Thanks for your help.

Patti
owned by Belle (2-1/2 weeks shy of 14 yrs) and Heidi (9-1/2 yrs.)