[Dailydrool] Basset hunting skills

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Oct 29 10:10:39 PDT 2009

<< I loved the bit about the bassets being so keen following thescent that
the hare gets away - or even doubles back through the packwithout being
noticed, they're so intent on the scent trail!>>

I can believe this, because I've seen Jane follow a scent to places the item
she's scenting no longer is. I can be holding it, while she's still tracking
it in the kitchen. But since she's no trained tracker, I wasn't surprised.

If bassets are really all that bad at tracking, you wonder why they were
developed this way. I can see the original monks who bred them going
dinnerless because the bassets let the rabbits get away. Doesn't seem like
their breeding was all that good.

Are bassets really such bad trackers, or is there some other method used to
grab the rabbit? Inquiring minds want to know!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets (who never really track anything)