[Dailydrool] Buster's Ashes

Cheryl Medlin tmedlin at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 10:13:08 PDT 2009

They called for me to receive Buster's ashes finally today, along with the lock of his fading, red fur and paw prints. They also gave me a remembrance book which I read and cried. I haven't decided whether I will keep his ashes or later spread them along his favorite outdoor places.

 He enjoyed our petting spot at the bench under a big tree in the back yard, and always liked to sniff around the swing set after our granddaughter had visited. He loved children and especially her. She told him how sweet he was and how much she loved him and let him smooch her as she crowded into his bed with him.He had several favorite indoor spots. He loved the big, front window from where he  ruled the street out in front of our house. He enjoyed the spot in front of the fire place where I gave him neck scratches and belly rubs and told him all the sweet nothings he seemed to enjoy hearing. Then of course, he appreciated the circle rug where he would sit in the kitchen to get his treats. Then there was the cozy place on the floor for his bed at the foot of our bed where he slept most of the night until he let me know he was ready to get up and stretch his short legs and have some water and go potty. The cool tile at the back door was where he waited for Daddy to come home in the evening and often dozed at night before  I woke him and took him and his bed back to my room. He loved the call to go to bed at night. He was so ready to go to his room when the family was ready to sleep.

It has been 11 days since we said goodbye to him at the vet's office. Now that I can keep my promise to always come back for him, we can try to say our goodbyes back here at his home that he loved, with the family that he loved. I never loved anything like I loved that sweet, old, hound dog.