[Dailydrool] Speaking From Experience ... Allergy Issues

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Sun Sep 6 09:59:28 PDT 2009

Colleen wrote:
> I know the food questions come up often and I have another one. I want
> to switch Stella to something that will make her less itchy. I found
> Blue Seal's "by nature" line that has no corn, wheat or soy. I was
> wondering if anyone had tried it.

Speaking from years of experience with Bassets allergic to whatever, this is "the rub". Stella may be allergic to anything, not just the most common allergens in dog food.

There is no commercial hypo-allergenic dog food. The Vet foods are made by
breaking down the protein to the smallest molecular form, so that the dog's
immune system cannot recognize it. This process is indicated by the words
protein hydrolyzed isolate. Commercial dog food manufacturers generally do not
break down protein into this form. Having said that I know how expensive the
Vet formulas are and thus would recommend that you either cook for Stella and
do the elimination diet or try one of the commercial foods that use One
Protein, One Carb and One Fat with nutritionally balanced simple ingredients
added. There is a choice of two in my marketplace, California Natural and
Wellness Simple Solutions.

The foods that are usually the culprits in canine allergies are:
Chicken
Beef
Eggs
Dairy
Corn
Wheat
Soy

If you really want to determine what may be causing her itchies and you think it is her current food, you can also choose to prepare food for her with your Vet's guidance and try an elimination diet. It takes a long time and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work.

Also, Stella may not be allergic to her food at all, it could be environmental, such as laundry detergent, grass, mold, ad infinitum or it could be a reaction to treats. Most commercially prepared dog treats are garbage.

I did not take my own advice several months back and I actually switched both my itchy hounds to other dog foods. BIG MISTAKE. I will never do that again, even though I get royally gouged, price wise, up here in Canada on the two that I have to buy them. I have spoken to Canidae and Solid Gold about this outrageous price difference. Both have no solutions, since at this price point, consumers are still consuming.

Before I forget, you might want to try a medicated shampoo from your Vet to help Stella with the itchiness. When there is itchiness, there is usually gunky ears, runny eyes and the occasional hot spot or two.

My two have the itchies under control. Someone come up here and smack me up side my head if I ever decide to switch their dog foods again.

Laurie, Zack and Sky