[Dailydrool] basset owner heartache--looking for new companion

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Thu Sep 17 17:44:43 PDT 2009

Dear Friends,

I have been scanning more than anything these days--so busy I don't
know which way is up lately.  Quick update:  all is well (for once) in
the Delaware world of Buford and Della.   Tons of drool to all in need
and snooters to everyone.

My vet called today asking if I knew of 1) a good reputable basset
breeder  in Delaware or the surrounding nearby area, and/or 2) any
basset puppies needing homes.  Of course you're all thinking "How come
the vet doesn't know of basset breeders in the area?"  Answer: they do
but wanted to make sure there weren't other options out there for the
situation they called about.  Here it is:

A client of there's just lost his basset.  Her name was Duchess---
quite possibly a drooler but I do not know for sure.  Duchess was
13-13.5 when she went to the bridge not all that long ago (perhaps
only a week or two--I'm not completely sure).  The owner is not
handling it well at all.  Duchess was much like Buford:  a medical
nightmare her whole life.  Her owner gave her everything--all the care
she needed up until the very end.  Again, much like what I have done
for Buford all these years.

So, in the hopes of helping the owner, who has expressed deep and
sincere interest, desire, hope, etc., on finding another basset, my
vet called me to see if I knew of anything--an effort to exhaust all
possibilities.  I actually thought it was a brilliant move on my vet's
part!

I mentioned Tri-State and Brood of course--but I don't have the time
to do the research nor the inquiries.....I'm pathetic I know, but this
football season at UD has me hopping and it's all I can do to take
care of the pups and my mother right now.  I mentioned the breeder
where I got Della from.....she's a runt (those few of you who have met
her know this--it's clear the minute you see her) but her disposition
is wonderful.  But of course, rescue is truly the best way for this
man to go so I'm hoping with the vet's assistance they can get him to
move in that direction.

He would prefer a puppy (who wouldn't?!) but I'm willing to bet that
he would open his arms and home to any basset in need.

I will push Tri-State and Brood again tomorrow morning--but if anyone
can offer any additional suggestions, etc., I have little doubt he
would be most appreciative.  I got Buford by accident 10.5 years ago
(pseudo-rescue from a woman who didn't want him any longer...he was 7
months old!) and Della....well I thought I would try JUST ONCE a puppy
from a breeder to see what it was like not to have any previous
"baggage."  I have learned it doesn't matter---they're bassets no
matter what and baggage or no baggage they are, well, bassets with
full agendas!  My point:  I'm not involved enough with the rescue
world (I wish I had the time!) to help him more than this.

Sorry for such a long email....just thought the more info, the better
as he is not new to being owned by a basset--not after 13.5 years with
Duchess and a medical file on her bigger than Buford.  My vet said he
was as devoted if not more to Duchess than I am to Buford---and they
know I would give my own life up for my boy so that's saying something!

---heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat