[Dailydrool] blind basset in st louis needing a home

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Tue Sep 22 11:09:03 PDT 2009

If intererested, email me for pictures. He loves sitting on top of the
lawn mower.

See that handsome talented man sitting up there on that lawn
mower...that's me Barney and yes I got up there all by my little
lonesome.  Now this wouldn't be such a big deal for any normal hound,
but for me it's pretty spectacular for one reason, I'm blind.  Oh please
don't feel one bit sorry for me...it doesn't slow me down one bit and I
have learned to deal with the blindness & make the best out of
everything I get.  My story like most in rescue is of course a sad
one...I hate even to tell it.....but Mom says it might just help people
gain awareness of what one simple Heart Worm prevention pill given once
a month can do.  I was born 5 years ago and adopted to what I thought
was a wonderful home...until I got left out in the back yard night after
night day after day.  I was given little to no medical treatment and of
course no HW prevention.  Just over a year ago I started to go blind &
still no one took me to the vet.  About 5 months ago I escaped my yard,
boy oh boy was it fun to be running like the wind...but after so many
days on the run and me just not feeling the best I was picked up by the
Animal Control officer after he found me lying by the side of the road.
They put me in a cool place and the next morning when they came in to
check on me I really didn't feel well and was in a seizure like
shake....they quickly rushed me to the vet where it was discovered I had
a tick/flea borne illness and was a HIGH Heart Worm positive (mom says
that means I've had them living in me for a long time).  ** The doctors
there got me stabilized and the rescue lady down there immediately
called the people at HHBR and here I am living the good life and getting
my health back in order!  The vet people and mom think I went blind
slowly from the extreme case of HW's I had and there is no way for them
to reverse it.  I was given the necessary HW treatment and medicines to
make me feel A-okay and I have taken it all like a champ...didn't slow
me down one bit no-sir-ee.  Now I am looking for a home to call my very
own.  Due to the fact I was on my own in the backyard for so long I have
come to be what mom calls an "alpha"....I guess that means I like to be
the boss.  She says if I went to a home of my very own or with only one
other dog that is not so bossy would be best.  Mom likes to call me her
little bumper car....being blind doesn't slow me down one bit...and if I
run into a wall or object I just keep bumping my way along until I find
the opening I want and off I go.  She says it's quite the sight and
makes her laugh every time!!  Due to my HW treatment I am not able to be
altered yet...I have to wait a few more months.  So my house training
still needs some improvements, which we hope will improve when I am
neutered.  I do go in and out the dog door with the rest of the hounds
around here.  Rescue is recommending I go to a home with older children
over the age of 10 years for their safety and my own. I am UTD on all
vaccines.  If you would like to hear more about me please contact
Jess'e<a
href="mailto:jessie at houndshavenbassetrescue.com"><br>jessie at houndshavenb
assetrescue.com</a
<mailto:jessie at houndshavenbassetrescue.com%22%3E%3Cbr%3Ejessie at houndshav
enbassetrescue.com%3C/a> >  or 636-448-8223 and she will put you in
touch with mom!!!

Helena Poist

Proplanner

2321 North Loop Drive