[Dailydrool] Is it just me that has trouble with adopting through rescue?

christine covie aka bassettmom%40comcast.net bassettmom at comcast.net
Sun Sep 27 21:27:56 PDT 2009

Looking for some thoughts here- and maybe some ideas to be better prepared.

It may also the new group running basset rescue in my state. The former pres.in Ft. Collins retired a few years ago and things did change.

I realize that the organization does try and times are tough. but somehow I keep getting the dogs that need either expensive medical treatment or are either not temperment tested or other significant issue.

Last year I adopted my Hercules and he was a documented fear agressive biter. Luckily my neighbor did not sue me (he bit on the first day I had him) - but rescue did not inform me of his intensive needs. Accordingly he only snapped- did not bite when approached by a child (yikes!)

I adopted Cleo , at 10, who was in rescue for a full nine months and stated to be in good health. My first

check up showed that she had 9 very rottten teeth hanging on a string,and a large Lipoma ths size of a child's nerf football on her ribs. I paid for all of it.

I want to help rescue, but I sure would like to be a.) better prepared    b.) not go bankrupt.

I think I am asking the correct questions but expect full disclosure for everyone's benefit

suggestions appreciated-

thanks- christine, hercules, nora and cleo