[Dailydrool] Alarming Clocks

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 05:47:16 PDT 2010

This morning I woke up at 4:30, wide awake. After letting the dogs in and
out and feeding I did some work and then slowly began to understand that
people really aren't supposed to be up that early. It was raining, dark, the
dogs had gone back to sleep, John was asleep, so I turned on the stereo very
low and laid back down on the bed with Conley, my favorite pillow.
Conley loves to sleep on the bed with me. He lays on his back, snuggled up,
and his head on the pillow. He always begins by snuffling and licking at my
face but if I turn his head away he quits and goes to sleep. So do I. I
slept for about an hour and a half and was awakened by my own alarming
clock-- Nigel had come into the room and Conley was instantly growling in
his deep and very menacing manner, answered in kind by Nigel. It really
wakes you up to have two 60 pound dogs snarling at each other inches from
your face. I have tried to get them to share me, with Conley near my head
and Nigel behind my bent legs, but it never lasts and it makes my little
heart pitty-pat a lot faster when they face off and I'm in the middle...
I suppose I should not allow anyone on the bed at all. But that isn't going
to happen. I just get up, remove the resource they're guarding, and it ends.
It is pouring rain still, a dreary day: a good day to know I have chewies
and bones in the dog drawer.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper