[Dailydrool] Abner's biopsy

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Apr 7 08:10:19 PDT 2010

Abner is thanking everyone for all the drool, but he warns that there seem
to be some limitations on its power. His biopsy came back as a cancerous
pilomatrixoma. Though these things usually are benign, Abs is in the small
percentage of cancer sufferers.

The surgeon gave us three options. We can let things go and do another
surgery if they pop up again. Since it seems this is not a fast-growing
cancer, that may give us some time. Or we could do a radical surgery that
would take Abs's penis and prepuce. Or we could do an expensive round of
radiation, which according to our vet, might not do all that much.

Drew and I were inclined towards the first option, and our vet agrees with
us. So that's the route we will take. Our vet suggested much
prayer--something we'd been doing already. But we know that basset prayers
come out as drool, so perhaps another round of drool would keep the nasties
at bay for him.

When we see the surgeon in a week and a half, I may get some more
information.

Abs seems to be recovering nicely, despite his coneheaded state, which is as
much a trial to me as it is to him. My back is bent, trying to hold it up
for him whenever he moves. My shins are heavily abused with his displeasure
as he smacks me with that hard, huge collar. A week and a half cannot go
fast enough for either of us.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, especially Abner