[Dailydrool] Shelby saves the day

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 11 21:07:42 PDT 2010

We are sending heart healing drool to any we have missed that have lost one of their babies in the last couple of weeks.  We hope things slow down and there are no more losses.

Shelby is our old girl, 14ish and going strong.  She is such a sweetie and is so full of bassitude.  Two of my sons and I teach a Sunday School class of  4 year olds.  It is a lot of fun and challenging too trying to keep everyone happy.  Today we had 13 kids in our little room and it was somewhat chaotic.  One little girl who doesn't come very often got upset about half way through our time and wanted her mom.  I was reading her a story and racking my brain for something to distract her.  She started telling me about her dog, Shelly.  So, being the basset case that I am, I just happened to have a fistful of pictures in my purse that I had taken a couple weeks earlier to show some old friends.  I pulled them out and told her about the girls.  I had several pictures and she wanted to know names and why they had ribbons on their heads and things like that.  It was enough to stop her crying and start her talking.  She wanted to take most of the pictures home so I let her pick one and she picked the one that I used for the calendar.  The other kids were a little miffed but they all got one at Christmas so they didn't get one now.  This little girl fell in love with the picture of Shelby, the little basset, in the pictures.  The only thing little about her is her height.  It is always fun telling about the dogs and the cats.  They have put lots of smiles on lots of faces over the years.  We made it through the morning with only a couple tears thanks to my goofy basset pictures.  They never let me down.  And, I have to compliment the boys, who volunteer their time and energy every week.  We painted and popcicled all the kids after doing the lesson and learning about bassets.  Anyway, bassets came to the rescue once again.  I would love to bring one or two of them in for the kids to meet but it just isn't a workable thing.  I have done it before with Daisy and with Sherlock, many years ago.  Sherlock got to be a show and tell thing once.  The kids were so excited and he was as good as gold.

Some of us are snoring and some of us need to go do a search for a kitty who decided to take a walk on the wild side a few minutes ago.  Davinci bolted out the door when Maggie wouldn't get her rather large toush up the ramp in time.  I really don't want to dance with the rose bush again but may have to.

Drool to all in need.  We are sending snores too.  Have lots of those.

Julie with the entertainment committee, Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby with the wild missing kitty boy and the sleeping kitty boy