[Dailydrool] Ruger update & smart bassets

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 14:24:18 PDT 2010

So far Ruger is back to his old self chasing squirrels and demanding his
nightly yogurt & walk.  Colt will not let Ruger out of his site. I told
Colt that if his brother starts seizing again he is to bark to get my
attention.  The boys don't bark that much, and I'm not complaining about
that fact either.  They will bark at the squirrels when they are teasing
them. Ruger will sit in front of me just out of my reach and bark when
he wants to play platypus (lure chase), go for a walk or wants his
nightly yogurt treat. Other than that they don't bark. Someone comes to
the door and they go, sit in front of the door with wagging tails.  If
they need to go outside to potty or chase a squirrel out of the yard
they go to the door and sit and wait for the momma to open the door.  If
the door is not open in a timely manner Colt will walk back in the
living room/kitchen door way, give me "the look" and then walk back
to the door...That is pretty smart if you ask me.  They get you to do
what they want you to do when they want it done...So who is training
who...who is the smart one here???

Comanche ATB used to unplug the electric fence that we had to put up to
keep him in the yard and out of trouble. He could also open doors either
by head butting it or with his paws twisting the door knob.  Wolfgang
ATB pulled off 2 rescues! My roommate at the time had somehow left the
gas on the cooking stove on while I was out of town and Wolfie woke her
up to turn off the gas and air the house out.  1 Human, and 4 dogs
saved.  He also woke me up early one morning to let me know that someone
was poking around by the vehicles and front door.  Cops called, chased
off the would be invader...saving invaders life, for if he would have
attempted to come in my house he would have been met in a rain of
bullets...Shoot 1st ask questions later...I have many other stories of
my bassets and their smarts.  Like someone else said bassets have to
have something in it for them.  They can be trained to do anything...for
the right reward.  Colt and Ruger will sit, fetch, lure chase, and Ruger can
even catch...however it has to be when they want to do it or for
something that they want.  Food being the biggest motivator.   I have
always said that you don't train a basset hound...if you're lucky you
come to an understanding with a basset.  You tell them what you want
them to do, and they tell you how and when they will do it.

Thanks for all the drool for Ruger.
Drool to all the houndies that are sick.
The boys are Stomping for no rain at the board waddle and trying to
convince the Florida sun to shine on all Waddle events.

Blessed Be
Michele