[Dailydrool] of basset intelligence and bedtime rituals

Kate bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:01:58 PDT 2010

Intelligence is relative. I would argue that some dogs are far more
intelligent than some humans. As for bassets, they are intelligent in their
own special way, as many of you have related.

Bedtime consists of me convincing the boys to go out once more so I won't be
awakened to let Baxter (most often the culprit) outside at 3 am. Once
they've completed their evening duty, we retire to the bedroom. Baxter hops
on the couch first to claim his end, and Boomer flops on the floor for a
belly rub. After I rub Boomer's belly, I go sit on the couch with Baxter.
Then Boomer waddles over for me to help him onto the couch. Once Boomer is
settled in, I have to cover him with his blankie (this week, it is leopard
printed), or he'll whine and whine at me. At any point in the night, I may
be awakened by Boomer's low, plaintive cry. This typically occurs when
Baxter's toe is touching Boomer's tail. I have to get up and scoot someone
over so the contact ceases.

Yep, I'm trained.

--
Peace and drool,