[Dailydrool] Hounds vs. Meds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Mon Apr 19 09:36:59 PDT 2010

I have had a few hounds that wouldn't take their meds.  Shadow ATB and
now Ruger. Shadow would eat the disguise item and spit out the pills,
Ruger just sniffs it and if he smells anything that smells like medicine
he won't touch it.  This includes the chewable heartworm & flea
preventions.  I have tried, chicken, peanut butter, & cheese. Doesn't
work....So when all else fails my theory is we can do this the easy way
or the hard way...and since they don't want to go the easy way then I
guess it's going to be the hard way... so be it...Hound you are taking
your meds! The hard way is prying the jaws open use their lip flaps,
press fingers into their mouth using the lips flaps in between your
fingers and their teeth this way they won't bite you and shove the
pill down their throats, hold the snout closed and stroke their
throat until they swallow.  If it is a large chewable tab them break it
into a couple of pieces.  I hate doing it this way but it's for their
own good.  As for liquid meds use a syringe and gently squirt it down
their throat.

Poor DJ...that sounds horrible.  Colt and Ruger are slinging no more
tumor drool
Julie glad to hear that Shelby is doing better...sorry that she has
Glaucoma but better that then heart failure...Boys are sling eye drool
to her.

Sounds like a good time was had by all at the BW. Wish we could have
been there. Pawtunia take a nice long vacation and rest your weary paws.

Love and Drool from the Boys.
Colt, You mean there was girls at the BW??? We are so there next year!!!
Ruger, Where there any squirrels?
Michele The momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers.