[Dailydrool] I just don't get it!

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Apr 21 05:09:00 PDT 2010

Its not hard to imagine.  Not even hard to see the reasons for it..

I had to make that call for my nephew.  "his" dog he called her, yet he was
never there to care for her, we were moving, and there would be no way she
could stay upstairs in the new house (a rental), hell she could barely
stand, and often required us to lift her.  The only place she could have
been in the new house, was down stairs with me .. the back door only has
three steps up and out... but where am I most of the time? at work.  I don't
see my boys (3 bassets) as much as I want to now as it is, I mean if it
wasn't for the fact that we sleep on the same bed, they'd miss even more
time with me ... and its not like anyone else in the house would come down
stairs except when they *had* to, not like anyone would take care of *her*
unless they HAD too, often times not bothering to clean up her pee, oh they
might sprinkle some of that carpet fresh to have it soak up the pee, but
then leave the stuff to crust for days and thusly further ruin the carpet
... if it weren't for poo stinking so much they'd never bother with it
either, but it stinks, so they'd get that up to stop the smell ...

I told him, it was time to let her go ... I "made him" let her go ... she
was still happy enough to be around people and my boys, always had the
smiles, thumping tail and presented for belly for rubs from me.. but her
quality of life was far less than it should be, and I can't hold a gun to my
nephew's head to make him do things for her.. likewise I really couldn't
have made him be with me when we let her go, and I take the heat he gives
when he's angry saying its my fault she's not with us.. all the while
knowing if he had REALLY wanted to keep her he needed only get a reliable
job (at that time easily done), move in with the friends that he always
threatens he'll do, and take care of her himself.. but no.. not him... too
easy to blame someone else for "his dog".

No ... its easy to understand making that decision when the quality of life,
is going down hill ... the "end on the high notes", the "before we come home
and find her having died retching in pain" .... the "hit by a car" or any of
the other nastier ways to go .... yes I can barely see those issues, and
know it will be the toughest thing for me when its solely my decision ...
but that may be where that decision process splits those of us that CAN and
those of us that Can't.

I can't see them suffer again, I can't see them leaving in pain, so I can
make the choice to let them go, its the last honorable act I *can* do for
them ... rather than stick them in a shelter, rather than have them be ill
and having to adjust to some foreign place, foreign people they'd have to
tolerate or learn new ways with ... I *CAN* let them go if I have too .... I
just hope I never have to again.

Everyone has their own situation, everyone has something that pushes them to
that edge ... those of you humans that don't live in my world, need to at
least understand it may happen.  I've learned that the best I can do for
dog, is to try and make their transition as easy as possible.  Try to be
consistent with dog, live in dogs good graces if need be, give treats and be
generous for dog.

In those ways, where I am granted the peace to overcome my anger at a
situation, I know dog is there ... I know in fact that I have three such
dogs waiting for me now, and they won't judge me harshly because I was late,
dog doesn't hate me for not thinking on them 24/7 .... because I'm there
now, that's what matters.

Now please know that I don't condone irresponsible people getting animals,
nor do I think that mean and nasty "mister wilson" on the corner shouldn't
be allowed to take part in having an animal, especially a dog if he's more
kin to them, because maybe that will change *his* world in some positive way
... dog can do that ... they've been doing that for me all my life, I hope
they can do that for you too.

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Dora at HOP & I just don't get it!

I also wanted to chime in with a comment that no matter how many times I
hear myself say it (or type it), I still JUST DON"T GET IT! How on earth
could someone love a dog for 14 years (or one month even), and just decide
to have it put down just because they can't keep it any more???? Likewise,
how could a person under the same circumstances abandon said dog. How could
that person not even consider doing the best they can by said animal,
finding it a better home or if given no other options, take it to a shelter.