[Dailydrool] Lumps & Bumps . . . Oh My!

Barbara Slater saharawest at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 10:44:52 PDT 2010

Frazier had a walnut size bump on the left side of his back
when he & Frances (Darling ATB) came to live with me . . .
that was 2004.  His Foster Mom said it had been tested and
was only a cyst, nothing cancerous.  It pretty much stayed
the same until last year when it decided to grow a little, not
much.  I didn't even notice it until my Vet said something
about it.  She suggested removing it at his next dental
cleaning.

Months later, I dropped him off for the day, went to work and
totally forgot about the bump removal.  My Vet was out of
the office and the on-duty Vet wasn't aware of the optional
surgery. I wasn't too concerned about the bump, so I just let
it go.

On our next visit, my Vet mentioned again about having it
removed, but since it hadn't changed I decided to do nothing.
Well . . . come January 2010, I get a call from my Dad
(Frazier spends the day with Grandma & Grandpa when I'm
at work).  He had let Frazier in from outside and while
petting him, noticed his back was wet.  Our little bump, still
not much bigger than a walnut, was seeping.  Off to the Vet,
they drained it and sent him home with meds & cleansing flush.
After about a week the bump returned, again about the size
of a walnut, still soft & pliable.  I decided since it was just fluids,
to just keep an eye on it.

Then about a month ago, it about doubled in size, turned
hard and started to seep again.  Frazier was still moving
around, going in and out, but with much less energy.  What
really scared me was when he stopped eating (except
chicken jerky, of course) and drinking.  The on-call Vet tried
to drain it, but this time had no luck.

My parents had taken him to the Vet & brought him back
with more meds and an appointment for the morning to have
it removed.  When I got home from work, I was so astounded
to see that the once large walnut size bump was a humongous
softball size alien growth on the side of my baby boy.  I swear
it was like something out of a sci-fi movie.  I was expecting to
see it peel open and some stringy wiggling creature come
crawling out of it.

We survived the night and I took him in first thing in the morning
to have the alien element exterminated.  He has been just fine
since.  The incision is about 14 inches long and has healed up
nicely.  His hair has gone from the short brisely growth to softer
but still a little short regrowth.  We're almost back to normal.
My Vet called last week to tell me it was an infected tumor of
the hair follicle . . . never heard of or expected that . . .

Sending healing drool to all in need,
Barb, Frances (Girly-Girl ATB) & Frazier (The Bumpless Wonder)