[Dailydrool] Written by a vet, and what my bassets have taught me

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 08:55:20 PDT 2010

This was written by a vet, but I think it applies to anyone who has ever loved an animal...some do more than others, but may we all do what we can:

"...this is what I wanted: a life of service to the innocent of the Earth, to those
who could not lie because they could not speak, who did not envy or covet
or steal, who never betrayed and never took pleasure in the pain and despair
of others, who did not enslave and brutalize and humiliate those weaker
than they were."

Fred and Annie have taught me to put myself second.  I got them a few months after I moved into my new home (the first I've owned.)  Within 2 days of moving in, it was "perfect."  All the boxes unpacked, everything in its place, new couch, beautiful pillows, everything neat and clean.  The day that Fred and Annie arrived, the couch got covered in a towel, they took up residence on it, and it's never been uncovered for more than a few hours since (if they're at daycare!)  The beautiful pillows are in the basement, and I really don't miss them...I have furry pillows now ;)  I am single and have no children, so I used to do what I wanted, when I wanted, without a second thought.  Now, my days are scheduled around their needs, my trips are planned around how long I can stand (and afford) to be away from them.  I wake up earlier than I would otherwise need to, because they need to be walked and fed before my day can begin.  When I get home from work (late and starving), I don't eat until after they've been fed.  Of course there are moments when I long for my neat and clean home, a few more minutes of sleep in the morning, and an immediate dinner at night.  However, when I come downstairs in the morning, or through the door at night, and am greeted as if my arrival is the best thing that's ever happened to them, I remember why I put them first...I am trying to love them as much as they love me.  Sometimes I'm not sure that that's even possible, but I will never stop trying.

Rose, Annie and Fred