[Dailydrool] Written by a vet, animals' abilities, and Bel's continuing testing

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Apr 28 10:05:41 PDT 2010

<<who did not envy or covet or steal, who never betrayed and never took
pleasure in the pain and despair
of others,>>

Well, I guess this leaves out my hounds. Jane used to be a really awful
counter-cruiser (stealing), and Bel may not cause physical pain, but he has
surely wanted to humiliate Abner, to prove to our last-in-the-pack that I
belong to Bel and only Bel. I also wonder if Abs likes to cause me pain,
since he has bitten me three times. Whose dogs is this vet talking about?

I don't know if anyone else caught the TV program (the name of which I do
not remember) that talked about the discoveries scientists have made that
indicate that animals have greater abilities to think, plan, and emote than
was previously thought. I left the program about the time when they were
showing some apes on a killing spree, so I didn't get all their conclusions.
But the part I did see appeared to be in line with all the things we've
discovered about our hounds. They can think, plan, and use tools, at the
very least--at last the scientists catch up with the folks who are with
animals every day!

Belvedere is going to continue with additional testing, since my vet does
not seem to think that Cushing's is the source of Bel's peeing problem. I
have to take Bel in to have his blood pressure taken and put him on a
low-salt kidney diet--oh, what fun it will be to try to get him to eat that!
Though, according to my vet, it does not seem to be kidney disease, the salt
could be a problem if the blood pressure is high.

Then, if necessary, we will do some diabetes testing. We are trying to avoid
an ultrasound right now. I sure hope something gets figured out soon. Vets
seem to have endless tests to identify a peeing problem.

I have ordered a couple of blankets from Plow and Hearth that are supposed
to be 100 percent waterproof. At least I'm hoping that they will help us out
until Bel's troubles are under control. One will go on the bed, if it's not
too uncomfortable for the humans, and the other on our much-abused couch. I
am glad that taking Bel out almost constantly has kept his accidents under
better control, but I do need to be able to work, and maybe the blankets
will help me out there.

The belly band I bought was not a whole lot of help, since Bel just soaked
it through. I was wondering if it would help to get some women's pads that
hold more than the dinky ones that I bought for the belly band. Has anyone
tried this? Any brand recommendations that will fit the Simple Solution
belly band? (You can always e-mail me privately, if you prefer.)
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets