[Dailydrool] seizures

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 09:52:04 PDT 2010

I have to agree with Robert on his advice with seizures.  After having gone through seizures
with Tucker (ATB) I found that there are ways to help support brain function and possibly
lessen the frequency.  BUT if the seizures are frequent then the way to help minimize them is
by using prescribed medications.   Some of the medications are very reasonable priced.  If the
med is one that is used in we humans as well, Wal Mart has the $4 med list.

Tucker had a wonderful neurologist who had my boy's best interest at heart.  He did let me
know about all the testing available and advised against an EEG.  The reason was if Tucker
did not have a seizure during the test, the EEG may be "normal".  He felt it was a waste of
money but gave me the option.  We did put off the MRI as doc felt getting the seizures under
control was the number one priority. (Did I say I loved this doc?)   In the end I did learn that
Tucker's seizures were caused by a brain tumor that was untreatable.  I believe that the  seizure
medications did allow me to have more time with my boy.

Hopefully they had complete labs including a thyroid panel done on Herman just to make sure
the seizures are not caused by something being out of whack.  The family also needs to consider
that other medical issues can be caused by exacerbated by seizures.  With frequent seizures, especially
grand mal, there is the risk of aspiration pneumonia, stroke and physical injuries.   There is also a pain
factor associated with seizures.  Many of my patients complained of sore muscles post seizure.  With untreated
seizures there is also the risk of status epilepticus (multiple seizures with no break inbetween which is scary!

Just to clarify my post, I am only discussing seizures that occur frequently and there is a need for med(s)
to control them.  My best advice is for Herman to see a neurologist, then come up with a treatment plan
that is in Herman's best interest and easy on the wallet.  (Of course if you carry a green wallet/purse in to
the vet's office you will always feel like you are leaving with a little green left over....Bwahahahahaha)

We are sending Herman " No More Seizure Drool" and our prayers,
Karen and The Dog House Gang